state bar

Bar complaint alleges Hunter Biden’s Hollywood lawyer, ‘sugar bro’ pal violated professional conduct rules

Read this article for free!

Plus get unlimited access to thousands of articles, videos and more with your free account!

Please enter a valid email address.

By entering your email, you are agreeing to Fox News Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided.

Hollywood attorney and Hunter Biden confidant Patrick Kevin Morris may have violated California’s bar rules with his lavish spending on the president’s son, says a complaint by America First Legal. 

The AFL, a conservative legal group founded by former Trump White House senior adviser Stephen Miller, filed the complaint Tuesday with the State Bar of California alleging Morris violated California’s rule that prohibits a lawyer from funding the lifestyle of a client or potential client.

The complaint came ahead of Morris’ closed-door testimony to the House Oversight Committee Thursday.

Morris reportedly spent $4.9 million financially supporting the president’s son. Included in the sum was a $2 million loan for Hunter to pay off his back taxes, and $875,000 was a purchase Hunter Biden’s art. 

A Los Angeles Times story characterized Morris’s relationship with Hunter Biden as, “foremost as his lawyer, but also his friend, confidant and bankroller.” And, when Hunter Biden made a surprise visit to Capitol Hill, last week, he was flanked by Morris and his attorney Abbe Lowell. 

ART DEALER REVEALS HUNTER BIDEN KNEW ‘SUGAR BROTHER; WAS TOP BUYER, MAKING WH ETHICS PLEDGE A ’SHAM’: COMER

Hunter and his lawyers

Hunter Biden, center, and his attorneys Abbe Lowell, right, and Kevin Morris, left, leave the House Oversight and Accountability Committee markup titled “Resolution Recommending That The House Of Representatives Find Robert Hunter Biden In Contempt Of Congress,” on Wednesday, January 10, 2024. (Tom Williams)

“However, if Mr. Morris has provided personal

Read the rest

Lawyer disbarred after email faking death to Calif. attorney regulators

(Reuters) – An attorney in California has been disbarred after state bar officials pursuing ethics charges against him received an email falsely stating that he had died.

Donald Martin Stone of Winnetka, whose Oct. 1 disbarment was disclosed by the State Bar of California on Thursday, initially faced disciplinary action for failing to disclose that he had been convicted of stealing from a Sears department store in 1995.

Stone could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

When approached by the state bar about his alleged failure to disclose his conviction, Stone said in a May 2020 letter that the matter had been vacated and dismissed, records in the disciplinary case show. He also said he was retired from practicing law and requested the disciplinary case be dismissed.

The bar moved forward with a hearing against Stone in July 2021, but he failed to appear. In September 2021, the bar received an email from an address that Stone had used to communicate with officials about the case indicating that he had died “months ago.”

Bar officials sent investigators to confirm that Stone had died, but instead found him living at a new address, according to a filing in the case.

The bar submitted a petition for disbarment in November 2021, which the California Supreme Court approved last month.

The case is In the Matter of Donald Martin Stone, No. SBC-20-C-30304, State Bar Court of California.

For California: Lori Flowers

For Stone: Pro Se

Read more:

Bankruptcy lawyer disbarred after sanctions in 30 cases

Ex-Trump Justice official Clark faces legal disciplinary charges

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Read the rest

California Bar wants to get ‘proactive’ in attorney discipline cases

The California flag flies above City Hall in Santa Monica, California February 6, 2009. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Register

  • Officials plan to do more than just respond to complaints
  • Reforms part of a wider effort to improve under-fire discipline process

(Reuters) – Leaders of the State Bar of California said Monday that they have implemented changes to the Office of Chief Trial Counsel, which investigates and prosecutes attorneys disciplinary matters, with more reforms on the way.

Those efforts include increasing staff, including the addition of a full-time administrator and a forensic auditor, and increasing pay for outside lawyers hired to investigate attorney complaints.

The office is also rolling out new ways to proactively identify potential lawyer misconduct instead of relying solely on complaints, officials added at a press conference highlighting the changes.

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Register

The bar will seek to identify attorney misconduct risk factors, then provide support for lawyers before they get into trouble, said state bar executive director Leah Wilson.

“This move into proactive regulation is new for the bar,” she said. But she and other bar leaders acknowledged that it will take more than minor changes to rebuild public trust in their organization.

Each state is responsible for regulating lawyer conduct. California has the second-largest population of lawyers behind New York, and its disciplinary system has been set by years of critical audits and high-profile scandals, in particular surrounding the downfall of prominent plaintiffs’ lawyer Tom Girardi.

Girardi, who is accused by a rival law firm of using settlement funds meant for the families of victims of the 2018 Lion Air crash to fund a lavish lifestyle, was the subject of numerous complaints over the past four decades, but the bar allowed him to keep

Read the rest

‘She is making every effort’ to get records to NC Bar

Julia Olson-Boseman, chair of the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners, missed a court-ordered deadline to appear at the Wake County Detention Center on Friday.

Julia Olson-Boseman, chair of the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners, missed a court-ordered deadline to appear at the Wake County Detention Center on Friday.

Following a contempt of court ruling last week, New Hanover Democratic party leaders are calling for Julia Olson-Boseman to resign.

However, her lawyer says she’s working to resolve the matter.

A Wake County judge ruled on July 18 that Olson-Boseman, chair of the New Hanover County Board of Commissionerswas in civil contempt of court after she failed to comply with a court order to turn over financial records to the North Carolina State Bar.

Joshua Walthall, a Raleigh-based lawyer representing Olson-Boseman, addressed the situation in an emailed statement Monday afternoon, writing that the New Hanover County commissioner is working to provide the requested documents.

“Ms. Boseman has a deep and sincere respect for the judicial system and is committed to complying with the court’s order directing her to produce documents and information to the State Bar,” he wrote. “At present, she is making every effort to obtain the documents the Bar is seeking.”

Amid the legal issues on Monday, the New Hanover County Democratic party asked Olson-Boseman to resign from the county’s board of commissioners.

“We believe that it is in the interest of Ms. Olson-Boseman and New Hanover County for her to focus on her family and addressing the challenges she faces in her private life without the additional burden of public service,” party chair Andre Brown wrote in a Monday news release.

The statement notes Olson-Boseman is no longer a registered Democrat. Voter records show Olson-Boseman is registered as a Republican. It’s unclear when her voter status changed, but she ran for re-election in the May 17 primary on the Democratic ticket.

“We hope she finds a home in a party that

Read the rest