js fjs

Ex-Ald. Ed Burke retires as a lawyer after the state’s highest court failed to pull his law license

Former Chicago Ald. Burke has formally retired as a lawyer, a change in status from just two weeks ago when WBEZ and the Chicago Sun-Times first reported how a hamstrung Illinois Supreme Court failed to suspend his law license after his federal corruption conviction.

The state Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission website is now revealing that new status, though it’s not clear in the public record when exactly the change happened.

He had been listed as legally able to practice law prior to the WBEZ/Sun-Times report on March 11.

After Burke was convicted last December, the disciplinary commission had urged the state Supreme Court to suspend his law license, as is customary when lawyers run afoul of state or federal law.

After the federal convictions last year of two defendants in the Commonwealth Edison corruption case, former ComEd CEO Anne Pramaggiore and ex-company lobbyist Michael McClain, the commission stripped both of their law licenses, even as they await sentencing.

But the court didn’t go that route with Burke after his racketeering, bribery and extortion conviction.

Instead, several justices cited conflicts of interest and recused themselves, sinking the effort — a move that wasn’t publicly revealed until almost a month after the fact, when it was reported by WBEZ and the Sun-Times.

The result of that paralysis on the court meant Burke remained in good legal standing with the state and was permitted to practice law, though his lawyer indicated his client had no desire to do so. Burke was first licensed with the state in 1968.

The issue flared during the final week of the primary involving state Supreme Court Justice Joy Cunningham and her rival, Appellate Justice Jesse Reyes, who called on her to divulge whether she was among the justices who recused themselves in the Burke case.

Reyes

Read the rest

Russian pro-war activist and Putin critic detained over alleged terrorism offenses, his lawyer says

Sergei Udaltsov, a Russian pro-war activist and critic of President Vladimir Putin, was remanded into custody Thursday over alleged terrorism offenses, his lawyer told the Russian state news agency Tass.

Udaltsov is the leader of the Left Front, a group of political parties that oppose Putin and are affiliated with the Communist Party.

He was prominent during the 2011-12 protests that saw the biggest demonstrations in Russia since the collapse of the Soviet Union, and was briefly allied with now-imprisoned opposition politician Alexei Navalny.

While multiple activists, lawyers and opposition figures have been detained and jailed in Russia since the invasion of Ukraine, Udaltsov stands out from them as he has supported the war and the annexation of Crimea, while remaining critical of Putin.

On Thursday, Udaltsov wrote on his Telegram social media channel that police were banging on his door to search his home.

His lawyer, Violetta Volkova, told Tass that electronic devices were confiscated during the search, that a criminal case was opened against Udaltsov for “justifying terrorism” and that he was taken away for questioning and remanded into custody.

Volkova told Tass he likely will appear in court on Friday and that if he is charged and found guilty, he could face up to seven years in prison. She previously told Tass that she did not know what the criminal case is connected with.

In December, a Moscow court sentenced Udaltsov to 40 hours of compulsory labor for violating procedures relating to organizing a rally after he was detained on Red Square, where he tried to unfurl a flag with the image of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin, Tass said.

Udaltsov was previously imprisoned in 2014 and sentenced to 4½ years on charges related to his role in organizing a 2012 demonstration against Putin that turned violent. He

Read the rest

‘We don’t even know where the kid is’

Lance Jasper had hoped his client, Shanna ManyWounds, would be reunited with her 5-year-old son in time for Christmas.

Instead, ManyWounds, of Elmo, doesn’t even know if her child is still in the country, according to Jasper, her lawyer., the Daily Montanan reports.

“Seeing Shanna at Christmas with an empty house and presents for her son that are going to go unopened, it’s gut-wrenching,” Jasper said in an interview last week.

In late October, Jasper and lawyer Spencer MacDonald, both of Missoula, made an emergency request that the Montana Supreme Court take over a child custody case from Lake County District Court.

They agreed to represent ManyWounds, largely pro bono, after reading a transcript of a child custody hearing in September that resulted in a “draconian transition” for the child, a description the lawyers used in a court filing.

At the hearing, Judge Kim Christopher ordered the child to be immediately taken away from his mother, who had raised him, and be placed with his father, who had visited the child only four days a year.

Neither parent had proposed that plan.

The judge, however, argued the change would build the child’s “stress muscles,” remove him from an overly controlling “helicopter” mother, and give the father an equal chance to parent, for the next five years.

Last week, Jasper said the wait for an order has been excruciating for his client and confusing for him. In district court, he said, orders on emergency filings typically come out within one or two days.

At the very least, he said, part of the emergency in this case comes from the district court’s decision to prevent the mother from contacting her son, which he said is detrimental to both.

In their petition, the lawyers argue that prohibition made an already traumatic situation for

Read the rest

Mistrial motion for Trump’s New York fraud case will come ‘very soon,’ lawyer Alina Habba says

Former President Donald Trump’s lawyer, Alina Habba, said Sunday that she will be filing for a mistrial “very soon” in Mr. Trump’s New York fraud case.

Mr. Trump and Ms. Habba have repeatedly said that this fraud case is politically motivated and that the people involved are biased.

“I can tell you that we will be filing papers to address all of those issues,” Ms. Habba said on Fox News Sunday, acknowledging that she also has a partial gag order against her.



Asked if she would be filing a mistrial, she replied, “very soon.”

Ms. Habba said a key problem with the case is that there is only one judge who makes the decisions.

“The problem is, with all of these things, such as filing a motion for recusal, which we have done twice, is that the judge has to be the one that decides, is he going to recuse himself? Does he feel that there was a mistrial?” she said, referring to Judge Arthur Engoron.

“It’s a bench trial. We have one judge. And it’s the same judge that issued the gag order that has to make determinations,” Ms. Habba said. “So, at this point, I don’t have any reason to believe he shouldn’t after what we have learned, if it’s true.”

Judge Engoron is presiding without a jury over the case brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat. The lawsuit, which involves Mr. Trump, the Trump organization and his two adult sons, alleges that the organization misled banks, insurers and others by exaggerating the net worth to get larger loans and better insurance rates.

Last month, Judge Engoron issued a gag order to stop Mr. Trump and others involved from publically speaking about the judge or his team. The former president has been fined $10,000

Read the rest

Maria Bartiromo Sets Alina Habba Up to Violate Gag Order

Read the rest

“I will be back soon,” says human rights lawyer Shava after attack; files police report

By Mary Taruvinga


TOP Zimbabwe human rights lawyer, Obey Shava, who was allegedly attacked, by four unidentified men who left him severely injured last week, says he is expecting to be back at work soon as he continues his recovery.

Shava, a founding partner with Shava Law Chambers (Rights and Business Centre) and a member of Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights (ZLHR sustained serious injuries to his legs and arm among other serious injuries and is currently using a wheelchair.

In a video posted on social media Saturday, Shava said he is eager to be back in court.

“My voice is more important in the court room than it is in the hospital ward so I will be back very soon. Thank you all for your support and solidarity messages I truly appreciate..for your prayers and everything.  I’m staying fit, I’m staying strong,” Shava said.

The video shows the lawyer sitting in a wheelchair with bandages on his legs and right hand.

According to ZLHR, before the assault, the four men presented themselves at Shava Law Chambers and completed the formalities for new clients.

During that time, Shava was attending to another case at Mbare Police Station.

Upon meeting them, the four unidentified men briefly presented their so-called case and, without provocation, assaulted Shava, and he sustained injuries.

They also attacked an assistant at his law firm.

The award-winning lawyer has represented many opposition politicians and activists, including legislator Joana Mamombe and activist Cecilia Chimbiri from the Citizen’s Coalition for Change (CCC) party, who were acquitted of criminal charges of communicating falsehoods after being abducted while in police custody and later tortured in 2020.

Read the rest

Hennen: Don’t limit options for affordable health insurance – InForum

In my world, I regularly hear about how to keep health care affordable, especially health insurance. My audience talks about it. Families struggling to make ends meet talk about it, too. That’s why a bill being considered in the North Dakota Legislature, HB 1416, caught my interest.

The verbiage from the bill says it’s “a bill relating to freedom of choice for health care services.” And it was repeated: “Be it enacted by the legislative assembly of North Dakota… freedom of choice for health care services.” That’s the fancy description. For me, it’s exactly the opposite. It’s removing a choice that allows consumers to save money on health insurance. That is a bad idea.

HB 1416 would allow any health care provider to join an insurance company’s narrow network, which is an important health insurance option for cost-conscious consumers who choose to see fewer providers but pay a significantly lower monthly bill.

Proponents — who have peddled their opinions on the editorial pages — have claimed this legislation will provide “freedom of choice for health care services,” allowing patients more choice when selecting their health care providers. That’s just wrong. In reality, patients already make that choice when they select their health insurance plan. What HB 1416 does is the opposite of choice; it eliminates an affordable health insurance option.

Health insurance companies use different networks, or groups of health care providers, to give consumers options. A broad network plan consists of nearly all providers within a service area. These plans are more expensive. A narrow network plan, however, consists of fewer providers who have agreed to a reduced contracted rate in exchange for an anticipated increase in patient volume. These plans are about 20% more affordable than broad network plans. Yes, 20%!

Take our company, Flag Family Media, as

Read the rest

Former U.S. Attorney who brought charges in Ohio nuclear bailout scandal says case may not be over

After a little over a day of deliberation, a jury found Republican former Ohio House speaker Larry Householder and ex-Ohio Republican Party chair Matt Borges guilty of federal racketeering charges. But there may be more indictments coming in what’s been called the largest corruption case in state history.

Householder and Borges say they’ll appeal their convictions in a $61 million scheme to pass a nuclear power plant bailout law for FirstEnergy and keep a repeal of that law off the ballot.

David DeVillers brought the case in July 2020, before he and 55 other Trump-appointed US attorneys resigned with the change to the Biden administration, and called it the largest corruption scandal in state history. DeVillers said he was thrilled with the verdict.

And he added that, listening to the comments of his successor in that office, the case may not be over.

“Ken Parker has made it clear that there’s an ongoing investigation,” DeVillers said. “And I’m confident that Ken and his team will follow this investigation to wherever it may lead.”

Parker was in the courtroom several times throughout the trial, and he was outside the courthouse after the verdicts. He called them a win for Ohio.

“You cannot sell the public trust. You cannot sell the public trust. It is not for sale. And you cannot conspire with others to sell the public trust,” Parker said.

“We have a team that will take the time over the years to meticulously go through all of the evidence to discuss with individuals, to get into to get information as to what was going on in this scheme,” Parker said, “to bring those individuals, no matter where they are at what they feel to be the highest points in our state government, to bring them to justice.”

Though FirstEnergy agreed

Read the rest

M&A deals to boost non-life insurance industry | Business

M&A deals to boost non-life insurance industry hinh anh 1(Photo: VNA)

Hanoi (VNS/VNA) – The non-life insurance sector has seen a flurry of
merger and acquisition (M&A) deals over the past two years, partly
reflecting the attractiveness and keen competition of the market, which still
has room for growth.

DB Insurance, which is one of the Republic of Korea’s leading non-life
insurance companies, has just completed another step of its purchase strategy
to take control of Vietnam National Aviation Insurance Company (VNI).

Expectations of fresh momentum from foreign capital inflows helped VNI’s stock
prices soar last week.

The transfer value is determined by the two parties’ agreement, but it is
estimated to be worth about a trillion dong at the current market price.

VNI has a charter capital of 1 trillion VND (42.2 million USD), which is the
largest charter capital in M&A deals over the past two years. Three
noteworthy M&A transactions in the insurance sector occurred during this
time, but the parties involved were not experts in the non-life sector.

In particular, VPBank increased its shareholding of OPES Insurance from 6.05
million units to 53.9 million units last November, or 98% of charter capital,
by purchasing an additional 47.85 million shares of the company.

Additionally, in the fourth quarter of 2022, Tasco spent more than 402 billion VND
to acquire Groupama Vietnam’s entire share capital, changing the company’s name
to Tasco Insurance. The plan calls for Tasco to invest an additional 612
billion VND in this business.

Previously, in September 2021, BCG invested a total of 316.5 billion VND to
acquire a controlling interest in AAA Insurance.

Vietnam was one of the insurance marketplaces with the highest growth rates in
the world prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Statistics for 2011–2019 showed that
the country’s annual growth rate in insurance premium revenue was 20% while the
global average

Read the rest

CMBA working to eliminate financial barriers for those in need of legal services

CLEVELAND — Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association is celebrating 150 years in existence.

To honor their long-standing history, the organization says they want to continue improving people’s lives and have plans to introduce a new initiative they say is needed in the community.

“It’s needed because a lot of people don’t know about the legal system, and if you don’t have the means to pay for it, then you’re walking into a situation blindsided,” said Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Client, Cherea Humphrey.

A game-changing opportunity is in the works for those who are struggling to get access to legal services.

“This is going to create all kinds of opportunities to eliminate barriers that will create better lives,” said Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association CEO Becky Ruppert McMahon.

This help comes at a time, McMahon says, many people simply can’t afford legal services because they’re already living paycheck to paycheck or at or below the poverty line – and don’t qualify for free help.

“That’s either because they make quote-unquote, ‘too much money,’ so that they don’t qualify for free legal services, but they still can’t afford a market-rate lawyer,” McMahon said.

Cherea Humphrey says this can put people in a difficult situation like she once experienced before she qualified for free legal assistance thanks to a partnership between the bar association and the Cleveland Metropolitan School District.

“By me not being able to afford one, you know, it was like, okay, well, what I’m going to do,” Humphrey said.

That’s where Ruppert McMahon says the Cleveland Legal Collaborative will step in to help.

Starting next year, Ruppert McMahon says lawyers in their first five years of practice will work with more experienced law professionals to provide quality legal services at a flat, fixed, low fee – and in some cases at no

Read the rest